Jose from Santa Barbara whom I mentioned in a previous post has sent me some photos of his mainsheet relocation project. I have been wanting to do this but just have not had time to complete other projects on my priority list. His mod looks pretty nice and apparently works well for him. He agreed to let me repost the email he sent me along with photos of the mod. Here you go:
I am attaching two photos of the mainsheet relocation to the center of the cockpit. I actually have not yet installed the traveller. I wanted to see how this would work, and also the $160 for the little car and track sort of put me off. as it is I do not think that will make much of a difference speed wise. My design, however, will accommodate the track and eventually I will add it to it. But for now I will spend that money on things more usefull, like the jiffy reefing controls.
I was concerned about structural integrity, so I sort of over built this: TWO 1″square aluminum tubes bolted together. The corners at the end attach with four large bolts on each side and in the back I put a large plywood plate and BIG metal washers. You probably could lift the boat from this thing.
I am very happy with the design and it really works the way it is supposed to do: the mainsheet is in front of your knees. You will notice that I placed it slightly forward of the winches. This is because I tie the jib sheet on the cleat on my side. I mean, on a port tack, instead of tyeing the jib sheet to the cleat on the starboard side, I draw it across the cockpit and tie it on my side. This has two advantages (keep in mind that I single hand this thing all the time)
1. I do not worry about falling in the water while restling with the blasted line in a 20 degree heel. THe water gets mighty close on the lee side!
2. when I am ready to tack, I uncleat the line on my side and let go of it as the boom swings over my head and I sit on the other side. While I do this I take the lazy sheet with me and haul it in from the other side (so that both jib sheets are next to me). This may sound complicated by it all works in one smooth motion and you can tack in a few seconds.
THe two blocks are Gerhauer and I paid $75 for both, on line. I also got a boom bail since I had to move the attach point inboard. I drilled a hole through the boom and put this together with the supplied bolt.
I also got you a picture of my new companionway. Regular plywood, TONS of polyurethane, seems to be holding!